Brain Behavior Institute 2009 - Session 2
Being a Scientist/Explorer/Creator (Practice):
Living (and Learning/Teaching) in Virtuality
- Science is a tool to help one become better at thinking for oneself, at using observations to make one's own stories that motivate new observations that motivate new stories that one shares with others.
- Science education should help people become better at thinking for themselves at ongoing, shared, exploration and creation
- Scientific statments are "stories", not "reality", since there are multiple interpretations of a given set of observations
- Working with summaries of thousands of year of observations without killing inquiry (see also Education: Between Two Cultures)
- "Good" scientific stories (Herbert the blue giraffe?)
- summarize lots of observations
- are "useful"
- motivate new observations/stories
- Observations are stories too
- There are lots of useful things to learn from the virtual, developing the same skills one would otherwise as well as reaching new understandings
- Students (and teachers) need to develop increased sophistication in working between the real and the virtual ... in virtuality
Learning from the virtual: emergence
sophisticated outcomes can often be made sense of in terms of simple things interacting in simple ways
Relevance for thinking about
- social organization?
- your classroom?
Put your thoughts about emergence in the on-line forum below. Add additional reflections on this particular subject and materials as they might (or might not) be usable in some way in your own classroom. How would you need to present it?