This Genetic Condition Was Not Inherited
This minds-on discussion/worksheet activity guides students to think about how mutations and meiotic nondisjunction can result in genetic conditions that are not inherited (most cases of achondroplasia and Down syndrome, respectively).
The first attached file has the Student Handout and the second attached file has the Teacher Notes.
Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis
- Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis - Key Concepts and Activities
- How Do Biological Organisms Use Energy?
- Cellular Respiration and Breathing
- Food, Energy and Body Weight
- Barley & Oat’s Brewing Backfire!
- Where Does a Plant’s Mass Come From?
- Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
- Plant Growth Puzzle
Cell Structure and Function
- Cell Structure and Function -- Major Concepts and Learning Activities
- Cells as Molecular Factories
- Understanding Osmosis
- Diffusion and Cell Size and Shape
- Diversity of Cell Structure and Function
- Cell Vocabulary Review Game
- Mitosis, Meiosis and Fertilization - Key Concepts and Activities
- Mistakes in Cell Division – Down Syndrome and Miscarriages
- Mitosis and Meiosis Card Sort Activity
- Mitosis, Meiosis and Fertilization Vocabulary Review Game
- Genetics Concepts and Activities
- Soap Opera Genetics
- This Genetic Condition Was Not Inherited
- Should States Repeal Their Laws Banning First Cousin Marriage?
- Genetics Web Search Activity
- Genetics Vocabulary Review Game
- Genetics Jeopardy
- Molecular Biology: Major Concepts and Learning Activities
- From Gene to Polypeptide -- The Roles of the Base-Pairing Rules and the Genetic Code
- The Molecular Biology of Mutations and Muscular Dystrophy
- Molecular Biology Vocabulary Review Game
- Genetic Engineering Challenge – Preventing Vitamin A Deficiency
- Golden Rice – Evaluating the Pros and Cons
Evolution and Ecology
- Population Growth – Exponential and Logistic Models vs. Complex Reality
- Resources for Teaching and Learning about Evolution
- How could complex eyes have evolved?
- Evolution and Adaptations
Human Health, Biological Concepts, and Scientific Method
- Molecular and Evolutionary Biology of HIV/AIDS and Treatment
- Understanding the Biology of Cancer
- Carbohydrate Consumption, Athletics, Health – Using Science Process Skills
- Vitamins and Health – Why Experts Disagree
- Should You Drink Sports Drinks? When? Why?
- Sexual Health and Reproduction
- Get the Lead Out
Hands-on Activities: Introduction and Listing
Narrative is determined not by a desire to narrate but by a desire to exchange. (Roland Barthes, S/Z)
What's New? Subscribe to Serendip Studio
A Random Walk
2 hours 6 min ago
2 hours 33 min ago
2 hours 59 min ago
Not Your Parent’s Ecology: What Is Wrong with Environmental Education and What It Will Take to Fix It4 hours 36 min ago
1 day 2 hours ago
1 day 19 hours ago
2 days 2 hours ago