- inside/outside - differences with the world
- unconscious-conscious - differences within the individual
- interpersonal/cultural - differences between the individual and others
- difference is the route to new understandings, the key to education
- Understanding as absence of conflict and learning as conflict resolution
"So what does resistance tell us?"
"The way people seem to work is that when there are a bunch of people in a room, each immediately starts identifying with some, disagreeing with others, liking some, being annoyed and affronted by others, etc."
"the teacher and the students becomes more like colleagues, more like friends, and more like fellow people engaged in a common pursuit of knowledge and a good life."
"the task is to have experiences that enhance the ability of individuals to recognize that they are responsible not only for their own stories but for the emergence of collective ones as well"
"there are questions of mystery here ... , of risk and not-knowing, of time (more risk), and change (more risk)"
Open-ended transactional inquiry, using all three loops, both personal and group story development, and difference/risk? Creating some new observations ...
A lesson plan - learning sudoku
- Play it yourself several times at whatever level you're comfortable with, record your times
- Share stories about how you figure it out, in small groups, in large group
- Play it again several times yourself, record your times
(variants: color sudoku, ken-ken)
- Am I different from other people?
- Can I get less wrong?
- Can I contribute to other people getting less wrong?
- Is it better to be analytical or intutive?
- Are differences valuable?
- Is there a "right" way to play sudoku?
"What new understandings might come from taking this particular conflict seriously, rather than taking it simply as a barrier or irritant in doing what we might be more inclined to do based on our own understandings?"
A teachable moment
Your thoughts in forum below ...