Mental Health and the Brain: Books
Mental Health and the Brain:
Suggested Books for Commentary
An evolving list. Additional suggestions welcome in on-line forum below.
- Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions. Jaak Panksepp. NY: Oxford University Press. 2004.
- A Mind Apart: Travels in a Neurodiverse World. Susanne Antonetta. NY: Tarcher. 2007. (Silverman)
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness. Kay Redfield Jamison. NY: Vintage, 1997.
- Brain and the Inner World: An Introduction to the Neuroscience of the Subjective Experience. Mark Solms. NY: Other Press. 2003.
- Divided Minds: Twin Sisters and Their Journey Through Schizophrenia. Pamela Spiro Wagner and Carolyn Spiro. NY: St. Martin's Press. 2005.
- Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious. Gerd Gigerenzer. NY: Penguin. 2008
- Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Why Medication Isn't Enough. Elio Frattaroli. NY: Penguin. 2002
- Listening to Prozac. Peter Kramer. NY: Viking. 1993
- Love's Executioner, and Other Tales of Psychotherapy. Irwin Yalom. NY: Harper. 2000. (Safyer)
- Madness and Civilization: A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason. Michel Foucault. 1988.
- Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life. Steven Johnson. NY: Scribner. 2005
- Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Hearing Voices and the Borders of Sanity. Daniel B. Smith. NY: Penguin Books. 2007.
- My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey. Jill Bolte Taylor. NY: Viking, 2008.
- Neurobiology for Clinical Social Work: Theory and Practice. Jeffrey S. Applegate and Janet R. Shapiro. NY: WW Norton, 2005.
- Of Two Minds: An Anthropologist Looks at American Psychiatry. T.M. Luhrmann. NY: Vintage, 2000.
- Open-Minded: Working Out the Logic of the Soul. Jonathan Lear. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. 1998.
- Religion, Culture, and Mental Health. Kate Loewenthal. NY: Cambridge University Press. 2007.
- Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis, and the New Biology of Mind. Eric Kandel. NY: American Psychiatric Publishing Co. 2005.
- Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are. Joseph LeDoux. NY: Penguin. 2003.
- The Culture of Our Discontent: Beyond the Medical Models of Mental Illness. Meredith Small. Washington: National Academies Press. 2006.
- The Cure Within: A History of Mind-Body Medicine. Anne Harrington. NY: W.W. Norton. 2008.
- The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness. Antonio Damasio. NY: Harvest. 2000.
- The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, and Other Clinical Tales. Oliver Sacks. NY: Touchstone. 1998.
- The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunment in the Cultivation of Well-Being. Daniel Siegel. NY: WW Norton. 2007.
- The Myth of Empowerment: Women and the Therapeutic Culture in America. Dana Becker. NY: NYU Press. 2005
- The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain. Louis Cozolino. NY: WW Norton. 2002.
- Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism. Temple Grandin. NY: Vintage. 2006.
- Trauma and the Body: A Sensorimotor Approach to Psychotherapy. Pat Ogden, Kekuni Minton, and Claire Pain. NY: WW Norton. 2006.