Instructions for Weekly On-line Postings
To register for a Serendip account,
* go to the course webpage
* click on the "register" link at the top right of the page
* fill out the form: you must use a tri-co email address (so we know it's you, not a spammer), but your user-name doesn't have to be your name
Think a little about whether you want your words associated w/ your (full/partial/symbolic/pseudo-) name, and whether you will want it so associated in 1, 2, 5 years....the content will remain on-line long after you've left the College.
* put in the registration code THAT WAS GIVEN OUT IN CLASS
* click on checkbox(es) -- on the right sidebar of the online
discussion page -- to join a class group ("EvoLit," "GIST," etc.)
* click on "create new account"
* you will receive an email at your email address with a temporary password
* login and change your password.
You may also want to upload a picture of yourself/symbol of your way of thinking/avatar/gravatar, which will then appear w/ each of your postings. If so, go to "My account" --> "Edit" --> "Upload picture," and follow the instructions there.
ALWAYS LOG IN BEFORE you post, so that what you have written will appear immediately automatically (otherwise----due to the need for spam control, it will need to be individually vetted, and so delayed).
If you use Word to compose your post, please upload it using the "W" icon; otherwise you'll end up displaying lots of wierd formatting.
Once a week, go to our course forum, type your posting, preview it, and AND BE SURE TO TAG YOUR AUDIENCE ("Evolit," "GIST," etc.)
1. If you login once and don't change your password, you will need to go to the "login" link and click on "Request New Password. "
2. If you already have a Serendip account, you should NOT register for a new one. You can "Request New Password" if they don't remember the old one.
3. If your Serendip account has been unused for a while, it's possible that there will be a block on it. If you can't login, send me an email, we'll take care of it quickly.
4. After the first 2 weeks, the "register" link will be removed, so if you are coming late to the course, we'll hand-create an account for you: just let us know.
We're looking forward to our virtual conversation as well as those we'll be having in person. Stay calm, and contact email@example.com if you have problems.