Week 9--reimagining disability
This Tuesday, with lots of help from Rosemarie Garland-Thomson, we will be reshaping, rethinking and redefining disability. Reflect aloud here on the "counterlogics" offered by feminist disability studies for one of these current questions:
- cosmetic surgery and prosthetics
- women following the social mandate to pursue beauty
- the choice to abort fetuses with disabilities
- the liberal ideology of autonomy and independence
- the exclusionary, essentialist oppressive aspects of the unity of the category 'woman.'