Videography as a Pedogogical Tool
Let's begin by listing the uses of videos in the Classroom:
1.) demos of things that are dangerous, complicated, novel/introduction - the hook!
2.) visiting places virtually
3.) reinforcement in a different medium
4.) assessment or archiving
journaling in a different medium
student and student collaborative product, reflection, modeling
as tool for making observations over time.
tool for mentoring
What are some of the pitfals and limitations?
1.) capturing unappropriate interaction? b/c it is out of context, unknown messages
2.) trademarks and legality
3.) virtual thus not real and not educational
4.) students mis-using/mis-interpreting
Overview of Making a Video:
- Download to computer with appropriate software....iMovie (Macs) or FilmMaker (PC's).
- Upload video clips to software.
- Drag into editing palette video clips of interest.
- Upload and drag into palette audio clips of interest.
- Splice, edit, transition, overlay audio and intro and ending credits.
- Save as Quicktime (Mac's) or .wmv files (Windows).
- Burn to DVD/CD or upload to video sharing web space.
Let's try it out for ourselves!