Recapitulation and prospectus
Diversity, as a positive benefit
- More observations, more stories
Story-telling, imagine and reflect, start where are, get "less wrong" and enjoy it
Take everything I say in this light
Simple things interacting in simple way can have sophisticated outcomes
Brain as an explorer?
(passive or active?)
Education as an exploration?
(passive or active?)
Moving on ... to the nervous system
The Brain - is wider than the Sky -|
For - put them side by side -
The one the other will contain
With ease - and You - beside-
Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)
Implications if Emily was right?
One example (of many) of one kind of reason (of many) to suspect she was ...
- Brain = behavior, there isn't anything else
What story do you hear/see in Emily Dickinson's poem? Do you think the brain is wide enough to contain the sky ... "and You beside"? What would this imply? In general? About education? Write your thoughts in the institute forum area.
- From stimulus/response box to semi-autonomous input/output box consisting of interconnected input/outboxes consisting of ... large number of very small input/output boxes (neurons)
Is the real brain (nervous system) actually that way?
- Sensory neurons the only way in, motor neurons the only way out, mostly interneurons
- Similar but different in different organisms, different in same organism at different times
- All neurons, differences in behavior are differences in organization of neurons
(change organization of neurons, change behavior)
What most interests you about what we've talked about so far? In what ways might it be relevant in your classroom? What would you like to learn more about yourself using the internet? Write some thoughts/questions in the institute forum area.
- Brain=behavior a good story
- Variation from brain to brain (diversity)
- For outside to affect brain it has to pass through sensory neurons
- Changes in brains with experience
- Brains have characteristics independent of experience and can generate outputs independent of experience