Evolution and the Idea of Emergence
Starting where we are ...
Write briefly in the forum area whatever thoughts/ideas/stories these two quotes trigger in your mind. (see responses and further discussion
(For further conversation see Science and Spirit)
What WERE the observations Darwin (and other biologists since him) was trying to make sense of?
- diversity - the pattern? - "clumpy diversity"
- geographic continuities and discontinuities
- reproductive similarity with variation
What is the "story" of evolution?
A key question: can order emerge from randomness?
- History dependence
- VERY long history
- Differential reproductive success AND randomness
- Complexity from simple interactions of simple things
- Order from disorder
- No architect or blueprint
- An "intentionless" prime mover
- No "right" or "best"
For what else might the concept of evolution/emergence be useful?
Send us your comments at Serendip
| EEI 2003 Home Page
| Summer Institutes
| Serendip Home |
© by Serendip 1994-
- Last Modified:
Sunday, 27-Jul-2003 14:21:52 EDT