K-16 Collaboration Around Science/Math Education in the Philadelphia Area
MINISYMPOSIA OBJECTIVE:To bring together K-12 and college/university educators to discuss ways that they can better work together to create optimal learning environments for all students at all levels of the the educational system, with particular reference to assuring effective education with science and mathematics.
For further background and participant lists, see Minisymposium I and Minisymposium II. See also materials from an Institute minisymposium in 2001 and a regional workshop in 2002.
ON-LINE FORUM for continuing discussion
K-12 TEACHER COMMENTS IN PREPARATION FOR THE MINISYMPOSIA
NOTES FROM MINISYMPOSIA DISCUSSIONS
(Additions/further discussion welcome in on-line forum)
- Need for improved coordination/information distribution (see info below and earlier as possible basis for regional resource list, on-line forum for additions, announcements, continuing discussion)
- Need for more collaboration, more professional development activities that treat K-12 educators as engaged/creative professionals, encourage/provide resources for continuing creativity/innovation in classroom (cf. teacher comment).
- Need for more attention to the needs of potential teachers in college/university/curricula. More actual experience, different ways of presenting math/science.
- Need for more coordination between K-12 and college/university math/science curricula/pedagogy so students don't experience a sharp break between the two.
- Desireability of adding to collaborative spirit different K-12 communities (urban versus suburban).
- Desireability of including in collaborative conversations not only educators but also administrators/parents/community members ... and students
- Need to try and play a significant role in state and national educational policy decision-making.
- Some potential future workshops
- Classroom management/behavior (brain?)
- Easing the K-12 to college/university transition for students
- Parental/community involvement
- Getting students involved as educators themselves
COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY/NON-PROFIT/GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS REPRESENTED/DISCUSSED
(Additions/new program annoucements/discussion welcome in on-line forum)
| Summer Institutes
| Local Resources
| Serendip Home |
Send us your comments at Serendip
© by Serendip 1994-
- Last Modified:
Sunday, 17-Jul-2005 11:29:49 EDT