Bryn Mawr College
Mondays, 2-4, Guild 210
Re-Thinking Philosophy of Science?
II. Generalizing Darwin
Steven Johnson, Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software, Introduction and Chapter 1
Greater complexity/generativity -> indeterminacy, change in elements, change in "environment"
- Order from randomness
- No architect, no planner, no center
- Continuing evolution - no "reality"
Popper/Kuhn revisited ...
- essentialism vs relativism? ... both, but not as originally thought
- realism vs constructivism? ... both, but not as originally thought
- non-intentionality vs intentionality? ... iffy, but needing more work
- objectivity vs subjectivity? ... iffy, but needing more work
- singularism vs multiplism? .... iffy, but needing more work
Grobstein, Paul Getting It Less Wrong: The Brain's Way
Send us your comments at Serendip
Lakoff, G. and Johnson, M. Philosophy in the Flesh, Chapters 1-4
| Course Home Page
| Course Forum Area
| Science in Culture
| Serendip Home |
© by Serendip 1994-
- Last Modified:
Sunday, 06-Apr-2003 20:18:35 EDT